We have prepared a walk through video on how to use Thrive Set-up Wizard. Watch the video below:
Selecting Demo to Install
After we uploaded, installed, and activated the child theme, we have already made sure the server is good to go. We are now ready to install our demo data.
- Go to WP-Admin > Appearance > Set-up Wizard. You will be presented with the following screen:
2. Select the demo you like and then click on the “Select Demo” button.
3. Next, you will be presented with a screen (similar to the following) to install the required 3rd party plugins.
The plugins that are marked with “x” means that the plugin is not yet installed/activated. Be sure to install and activated all the plugins listed in the screen before you start importing the demo. Click “Click to begin installing and activating required plugins” button to begin the installing and activating the plugin.
4. After clicking the “Click to begin installing and activating required plugins” button, you will be presented with the screen below. Select all the plugins by checking the checkbox fields. Then depending on the action you want, in our case we want to install the plugins, then we need to click in the drop-down and then select “Install” in the choices and then click the “Apply” button.
5. After clicking on the ‘Apply’ button, the set-up wizard will start downloading the plugin straight from each of their own repository into your ‘plugins’ directory.
6. Next, Go back to plugin installer page, this time check all plugins, in the ‘Bulk Actions’ drop-down, select “Activate,” and then click “Apply.” The set-up wizard will now activate all the plugins. If you encounter some issues, e.g., failure of activation, go back to the screen and re-activate. Sometimes, there are other plugins which redirect upon activation causing the set-up wizard to terminate the process. Just wait for the activation to finish, sometimes it takes several minutes to complete.
7. Before we import our data, make sure to update your permalinks as required by BuddyPress. Go to ‘WP-Admin’ > Settings > Permalinks, select ‘Post name’ and click Save Changes.
It is also advisable that you activate all BuddyPress components, before proceeding to import the demo contents.
Go to ‘Settings’ > ‘BuddyPress.’ Under ‘Components’ tab, check all components and click “Save Changes.”
8. Next, go back to ‘Appearance’ > ‘Setup Wizard’ and select the demo you like by clicking the corresponding “Select Demo” button. Then double check to make sure all the plugins are installed and activated:
9. Finally, check the “I have already installed and activated the required plugins” and click on “Start Importing”. This action will import all data, widgets, and other demo data to your install. This can take up to several minutes. Please do not close or navigate away while the import is on-going:
That’s it! Once the set-up wizard has done downloading the attachments and importing the post, and demo configs. Check your site to see it now resembles the demo.
Do not forget to update the menu links such us (‘Members’, ‘Groups’, and ‘Activity’) and point them to the right BuddyPress pages.
Also, do check if the menu has been successfully imported. Re-assign if needed. (WP-Admin > Appearance > Menus > Manage Locations)
You site should now look similar to the demo you have selected. In the next section we will discuss on how you can customize the look and feel of your website, I will also walk you through in some of the important things, and give you the links to each individual plugins documentation.